Today I want to show you the Abutment Retrieval Kit from Nobel Biocare™.
This kit has tools that allow you to easily remove abutments that are stuck in the implant.
The tools in this kit are designed to work with the Conical Connection implants only.
There are three different types of tools that are included in this kit and each one requires that the abutment screw has already been removed.
If you have a broken screw, you will need to use a screw retrieval kit before using one of these abutment retrieval tools.
The first tool in the kit is called the Abutment Release Pin. It works for all Nobel abutments, and it’s quick and easy to use so it’s typically going to be the best tool to start with for all abutment types.
The release pin is inserted in to the abutment and then is gently rocked back and forth to loosen the abutment from the implant. Once you feel the abutment loosen it can be lifted out of the implant.
The other two tools are each designed for a specific type of abutment.
They are the Abutment Retrieval Instrument Titanium and the Abutment Retrieval Instrument Zirconia
The Abutment Retrieval Instrument Titanium is specifically for NobelProcera CAD titanium abutments that have the internal screw threads.
It looks similar to a normal screw except that it’s taller and the threads are higher up on the screw body.
The way it works is that as you screw the retrieval tool in to the abutment, the bottom of the tool makes contact with the bottom of the implant screw hole and forces the abutment up and out.
Again, this will only work for titanium abutments that have the internal threading.
The final tool is the Abutment Retrieval Instrument Zirconia which can be used for full zirconia abutments, as well as the kind with the titanium base.
This tool is a two-piece system comprised of the engaging pin and the activating needle.
To use this tool, you will separate the two pieces and then the engaging pin is inserted in to the abutment until it reaches a stop.
Next, the activating needle is inserted in to the engaging pin and pushed down firmly until the top of the needle is flush with the top of the engaging pin.
You may need to use hemostats to get these two pieces to fully mate. This process activates the wings of the engaging pin so that they are underneath the bottom edge of the abutment interface.
The engaging pin can now be lifted up which will pull the abutment out with it.
The kit has three kinds of tools:
- The Abutment Release Pin works for all Nobel abutments, and it’s quick and easy to use so it’s typically going to be the best tool to start with for all abutment types.
- The Abutment Retrieval Instrument Titanium is specifically for NobelProcera CAD titanium abutments that have the internal screw threads.
- The Abutment Retrieval Instrument Zirconia can be used for full zirconia abutments, as well as the kind with the titanium base.
Each of the tools in this kit can also be purchased separately:
- Abutment Release Pin 3.0 pn: 37509
- Abutment Release Pin NP pn: 37510
- Abutment Release Pin RP/WP pn: 37511
- Abutment Retrieval Instrument Zirconia NP pn: 37512
- Abutment Retrieval Instrument Zirconia RP/WP pn: 37882
- Abutment Retrieval Tool Titanium NP pn: 36247
- Abutment Retrieval Tool Titanium RP/WP pn: 37881